Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Montreal Jazz Festival - Marianne Trudel




I do not see as much live jazz as I wish i did. When I went to the Montreal Jazz Festival I did catch some blues, but discovered a variety of performers who were a total surprise and delight to me. The marvelous music of Marianne Trudel and her Quintet was captivating evoking me the terrific Keith Jarrett European Quartet and the early ECM recordings of the Jan Garbarek Quartet. She is a marvelous composer and her band played so wonderfully together. Her band this day was comprised of Chet Doxas - soprano sax, Jonathan Stewart - tenor sax, Morgan Moore - bass and Kelby MacNayr -drums. Their is slightly different personnel on her wonderful cd, Sands of Time, which has Rob Mosher on soprano sax and oboe and Robbie Kuster on drums. While I do not speak French, her music spoke to the heart and it sang so joyfully. Check out her website, www.mariannetrudel.com for more on her and information on how to purchase Sands of Time, which I heartily recommend.

No comments: