Monday, July 01, 2019

Leo Bud Welch The Angels in Heaven Done Signed My Name

Leo Bud Welch
The Angels in Heaven Done Signed My Name
Easy Eye Sound

This is the final recordings by the late Mississippi blues and gospel artist Leo 'Bud' Welch. Welch's first two albums appeared on Fat Possum and then Big Legal Mess. I have not heard the previous two albums, but the present one is one in its straightforward presentation of his gospel singing and guitar backed by the small ensemble that provides generally sympathetic settings for his heartfelt songs of praise.

The pure heartfelt soul of his singing on "I Know That I Changed," is matched by the raucous backing on "I Come To Praise His Name" with its emphatic repeated riff and backing vocals. Then there is the brooding "Walk With Me" with his vocal and backing building in intensity. On "Right On Time," they get a groove suggestive of Hill Country Blues with a gospel group adding backing vocals. Over 80 when he recorded this, he perhaps can't sing as strongly as when younger and playing in jukes, but the heartfelt quality of his vocals moves on "I Wanna Die Easy."

With producer Dan Auerbach's slide guitar the only additional accompaniment, the brief "Sweet Home," closes a most moving recording. It should be noted that the recording time of the 10 songs is less than 30 minutes, but there is no filler for this posthumous release by the down-home Mississippi performer.

I received my review copy from a publicist. Here is a video of "Right On Time."



No comments: