Saturday, May 23, 2020

Take 5 With Smiley Lewis

One of my favorite blue shouters was Smiley Lewis. The New Orleans singer and guitarist had many superb recordings, but alas some of his records became better known when reworked by others. Here are five recordings by him.

First up is "Tee-Nah-Nah," a version of the "Junker's Blues." I think it is Tuts Washington on piano.


As I mentioned, some of his recordings became hits for others. One example was "Blue Monday" which was a smash for Fats Domino.


Smiley Lewis could jump the blues as strongly as anyone as can be heard on this hot "Can't Stop Loving You."



Another gem that many probably know more from Dave Edmunds recording.


We close with another recording that could only have been recorded in New Orleans.


I do believe I will have to do another Smiley Lewis playlist sometime down the road.

No comments: