Monday, August 23, 2021

Mike Zito Resurrection

Mike Zito
Resurrection
Gulf Coast Records

About his new album "Resurrection," Mike Zito states that it "is an album of feelings, emotions, and is very personal. The title track is how I once almost lost my love, but it came back stronger than ever. I have had this song in me for years, but it only makes sense now to share it with the world. After the year we have had on planet Earth, I believe we all need a rebirth. This rebirth has given me an opportunity to be who I want to be musically and artistically." Joining Zito on this album are some musicians who've played with him for the last several years, including Matthew Johnson – drums; Doug Byrkit - bass guitar; Lewis Stephens – piano, organ; Zach Zito - acoustic guitar; and Lisa Andersen - backing vocals. Eric Demmer is on saxophone, and Fernando Castillo on trumpet where heard.

While often described as a blues-rocker, there is more rock than blues on this album to these ears. This comment is simply descriptive. Zito sings with vitality and can shred with the best of him. More importantly, he does write good songs and performs with heart and heat. There is a Tom Petty flavor on the opening cover of J.J. Cale's "I'll Make Love To You." In addition to his saw-toned slide guitar, Demmer rips off an intense bit of hot honking tenor sax. There is much more rock energy elsewhere on this recording, such as "Don't Bring Me Down."

Other tracks include a hard rock cover of Blind Faith's "Presence of the Lord." Zito may not be Stevie Winwood, but he acquits himself well with his vocal while adding searing guitar. "When It Rains" is a bluesy number with a relentless rhythm and atmospheric horns. I am not fond of the head rock arrangement of Howlin' Wolf's "Evil." Zito's vocal strikes this listener as overwrought here, although Stephens' organ is noteworthy. Not everything is hard rock or blues-rock. "In My Blood" has a low-key, restrained backing to complement Zito's understated singing.

About the title track, Zito says, "The title track is how I once almost lost my love, but it came back stronger than ever." It is a powerful track with solid lyrics and passionate singing. It closes an album that will have considerable appeal to those who like their music rocking.

I received my review copy from a publicist. Here is the title track.

No comments: